In case you haven’t realized it by now-I absolutely LOVE Mexican food! My husband and I seem to be the only two people on the planet that don’t care for Italian food (except pizza…I could live on pizza!). We’d pick Mexican dishes over pasta ANY day of the week. So, I obviously take ‘Taco Tuesday’ incredibly seriously.
Chips and Salsa are my weakness. But…since we’re keepin’ it clean in 2015 I prepared a healthier version of chips & salsa…Bell Pepper Nachos!!
The great thing about these is that you can add anything you want (black beans, Refried beans, corn, shredded chicken, guacamole, etc…)
My Version of Bell Pepper Nachos
• Bell Peppers (I used red & yellow)
• Minced garlic
• Olive Oil or Butter (whatever your preference)
• Shredded Cheese
• Homemade Taco Seasoning (SOO much better than store bought full of junk)
• Wash, de seed, cut your peppers & arrange on a parchment lined cookie sheet
• Throw a little olive oil OR butter in a pan & sauté your onions & jalapeños
• Season your onions & jalapeños with your homemade taco seasoning
• Scoop your onion mixture evenly amongst the peppers
• Sprinkle on your cheese
• Place in oven on highest rack & broil for about 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted
• Remove from oven
• Top with garnishments of your choice OR not (I used plain Greek yogurt & scallions)
• Dip in Salsa
** These were SOOO good! It completely satisfied my nacho craving AND lived up to my utter love for them.
** Served as an appetizer & had a Chicken Taco Salad for dinner
** And…just in case you’ve missed my homemade taco seasoning recipe, here it is again:
Homemade Taco Seasoning:
• 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
• 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
• 1/2 tsp. paprika
• 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp. onion powder
• 1/4 tsp. chili powder
• 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
• A pinch of crushed Red Pepper
• 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
• Combine all ingredients in small mixing bowl and mix well.
** Keep in mind that you only need a little bit of the seasoning for this particular recipe. Use the rest for your chicken or beef. Otherwise, store in an air tight container.
HAPPY HEALTHY TACO TUESDAY!!!!